Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Brief Wondrous Visit of Junot Dias

Went to see author Junot Diaz speak last night. It was one of the
best author readings/talks I have ever attended. Mr. Diaz was as
funny, profane and erudite as his novel. He was also gracious
and engaging.

With the cocky chi of a bantam rooster, Dias exhorted a reticent
audience into a lively question and answer session, posed for
pictures, gave hugs, and signed copies of his books for over an
hour. He stood the whole time, making eye contact and thrusting
his hand forward to shake the hands with everyone who stopped
before him.

"What do you do for a living?" he asked eyeballing me through
owlish black oval glasses after shaking my hand, asking my name
and thanking me for coming.

I had resolved years ago to always answer that question in the
affirmative: "I am a writer."

But, standing before this self-proclaimed "artist," I
chickened out and stated my day job.

"Oh, so you work for a living?" he commented with a sly arch of his
eyebrow.

1 comment:

six blocks east of mars said...

I envy you. My job title for my day job is actually Senior Staff Writer, but I would have most likely mumbled it overcome with awe had I been in your situation. It's good to hear Diaz is as appealing in real life as his work.