Monday, March 9, 2009

Be Real Black for Me

I had an ah-ha! moment this weekend while reading a Sean Penn interview in Rolling Stone Magazine. Penn quoted Cleve Jones, the former lover of Harvey Milk, as stating that liberal heterosexuals think the only difference between them and homosexuals is the sex while, in fact, the only thing heterosexuals and homosexuals have in common is the sex. I believe the same thing can be said about white Americans and black Americans: the only thing we have in common is the sex.

This said, I applaud President and Mrs. Obama for continuing to be their "natural black selves." I have fought for nearly a quarter century on the battleground of workplace discrimination. I have seen black people play the corporate game every which way there is and I have come to the conclusion that this is the only course of action that works is to retain your essential black selves - no matter now pervasive the pressure is to co-op one's self.
I adore that Michelle defiantly continues to show off her well-toned arms - heck, she worked hard for them and what woman should be denied the pleasure of showing off what she considers here best parts? - further, I love that the Obamas blithely ride the fine line between propriety and parody by both ignoring and embracing the stereotype of black folks cluelessly taking over and putting a children's play area behind the Oval Office, replacing a tennis court with a basketball court and having barbeques on the south lawn.

Hosanna Obamas!

No comments: