Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dr. Veidt and Mr. Spargo

I am watching an excellent movie called The Lookout starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I am mesmerized by the performance of the actor playing Gary Spargo, the svengali-like uber-alpha male roustabout/bank robber with the big glass bottle eyes and greasy mustache. I am shocked (shocked, I tell you) when I look the actor up on IMDB and discover he is Matthew Goode - the same Matthew Goode who played Ozymandias in the Watchmen movie. These are two remarkably diametric characters: Gary Spargo with his feral, lean and hungry look and the urbane, cool and sophisticated Adrian Veidt. The only thing the characters have in common is their detached calculation. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating."

1 comment:

tubeistdan said...

I was hoping to find somebody else seeing more than a certain resemblance of the Spargo character in height, voice, manner and face to magician David Blaine. Alas. Having not paid attention to the actors from the outset, and was beginning to scratch my head throughout the movie... isn't that...?