Sunday, May 24, 2009

Today in Sound-Off Theater (Sunday)

For those of you scoring at home, I am once again engaging in my Sunday ritual of listening to NPR while reading two sunday newpapers, surfing the web and watching a movie with the sound off. Today's movie is 2007's Invasion. I am a big fan of Phillip Kaufman's 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so I had a hard time warming up to this remake of a remake. BUT, like The Golden Compass, it looks great in HD. The golden hues make many scenes look like renaissance paintings. And, also as in The Golden Compass, Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, two of the palest white folks working, look fabulous in high def. German Director Oliver Hirschbiegel helms the film and is responsible to the many evocative close-ups but everything gorgeous I adore about this particular Sound-Off viewing was probably provided by German cinematographer Rainer Klausmann. Another thing I like about Invasion is that there are black people in this universe, including Jeffrey Wright a score of extras. Invasion is a lovely moving picture.

No comments: