Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Me and My Vaio


Me and my (Vaio)
Straighter than narrow
Wherever we go, every one knows
It's me and my (Vaio
)

I bought my Sony Vaio 15.4” notebook PC almost exactly three
years ago, today, and it was love at first sight. I purchased the
laptop on-line at Amazon.com after doing extensive research
taking into account price, esthetics and performance. 1 GB RAM,
100 GB Hard Drive, it came with Windows XP instead of Vista and
the graphics were gorgeous. The slim, sleek metallic silver laptop
was as utilitarian as it was beautiful. I loved my Vaio even more
than I loved my microwave – and I think the microwave oven is
the greatest invention of the twentieth century.

Me and my (Vaio)
Taking the high road
Wherever we go, everyone knows
It's me and my (Vaio
)

I took my Vaio everywhere I went. I took it to work with me. I took
it to the Original Pancake House when I ate Saturday breakfast
there. I took it to McDonald’s. I took it to Panera’s. I took it onboard
with me when I traveled on business. I took it on vacation with me.
I took it wherever I could find a hotspot.

And in the morning when I wake up
(It) may be gone, I don't know


I love my Vaio. And last week somebody stole it. Soon as I saw the
broken glass in the back door window pane, I knew it was gone.
Several other things were taken, including my HD television, two
game systems and my GPS system (“Why wasn’t your GPS
system in your car?” the officer who responded to my call asked me.
“Because I didn’t want anybody to steal it,” I answered sheepishly).
But the only thing I cared about was my Vaio.

My life was on that Vaio. One completed (unpublished) novel and
two novels in progress were on that Vaio. The entire contents of
my webpage were on that Vaio. All the digital pictures I have taken
of my children, now 21 and 17, in the last three years were on my
Vaio. Every day that passes I remember something else that I love
and will miss that was on my Vaio.

Everyone tells me I should have backed up the contents of my Vaio.
But did I mention that my Vaio had a 100 GB hard drive? Did I
mention how I took my Vaio everywhere? Did I mention how I
thought me and my Vaio would be together forever and that I could
trust my Vaio with the contents of my life?

I often wonder how the person who stole my Vaio will feel when
they discover how slow it had become or how the CD ROM drive
died a year ago or how the sound card doesn’t work right any more
and how all the sound is distorted. Sigh.

I miss my Vaio.

And we make up just to break up
I'll carry on, oh yes I will.
~Harry Nilsson (“Me and my Arrow”)

No comments: