Saturday, October 3, 2009

You Do What You Can Do

MacArthur "genius" award winner and famous "clown" Bill Irwin,
who has made a living by using and contorting his fluid and flexible
body, calls the human body "ridiculous."

I am reminded of a conversation I engaged my 21 year-old son in
regarding my favorite conversation starter - "What if plants created
man simply to solve their rather mundane but necessary need to
disperse seeds." My son's irritated response was "why did they
create men; why didn't they just grow legs?" To which I responded,
"Why did men create robots; why didn't they just attach mechanical
appendages directly to their nerve stems?" (Although, what I
really thought was "then they wouldn't be plants").

The answer is you do what you can do.

A funny thing I heard over the weekend pertains to the recent
discovery of another of man's earliest ancestors: one theory is
that this creature learned to walk erect so he could present food
to the female of the species in order to win her sexual favor (to
which Bill Maher snarked, "and her response was still: why don't
we ever go out?"

The answer is you do what you can do.

No comments: